March 2021 Newsletter
Spring is Here
Finally, Spring has sprung and the sun is shining. With this seasonal change, we start to demand more from our bodies…. gardening, walking and generally being more active.
Now is the time to eat well as we are still a bit depleted in energy from the winter months. Try and balance increase in activity with a good night’s sleep to help the body transition into Spring.
If you are starting to exercise more, ensure that you pace yourself and don’t go too hard on yourself. We often see injuries in the clinic at this time of year purely from patients over-doing it.
In the meantime, with lockdown easing, enjoy your golf, tennis and outdoor sports!
How to Increase your Exercise and Avoid Injury
– Plan Ahead. Create a timetable and plan your exercise. Try to incorporate rest times so that your body can recover between exercise.
– Keep it Varied. Try to add different types of exercise and activity so that you use your body in different ways. This means repetitive strain of muscles is much less likely to occur.
– Try Interval Training. Interval training means bursts of activity interspersed with rest periods. For example, run/walk. This is a great way to build fitness and the rest period really reduces likelihood of injury.
– Eat well. Greater demands on the body mean you must make sure your body has good nutrition to work with. Don’t forget to hydrate too. Muscles can cramp easily if we are dehydrated. Make sure you have foods that are rich in magnesium to help maximise muscle function….
– Always Stretch. After any exercise it is good to stretch out those used muscles.
Wishing you All a Happy Easter.
The practice is closed on Good Friday and Easter Monday.
However, we are open on Saturday 3rd April so please call now if you wish to book an appointment 02089776396
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us for any reason, we are here to help and welcome any feedback. Click here for more information.